Sunday, May 24, 2009

Loss and gain

You know, since I lost my breasts and then went through chemo, I have not really spent much time considering my loss. That is, I have spent a lot more time considering what I have gained... much healthier in the long run, I think.

Most of the time, when tragedy strikes us ... and let me be frank here, YES it was a tragic occurrence that I lost my breasts ... it is easy to be consumed by the pain, the loss, the fear.

But I choose not to focus on the tragic. I am alive. Many adjectives to describe this new chance I have at life: Surviving. Grateful. Hopeful. Full of myself. Being. Learning. Looking for the new. Seeking and seeing the hand of God in all things. Faithful. Believing in the future. Growing.

I think the tragedy is that it sometimes takes loss to appreciate gain and to love what we have been able to keep.

No comments: