Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Making progress

It's been five weeks since my last -- my very last -- chemotherapy treatment. Hurray! I'm feeling pretty joyous these days because my tastebuds are coming back and I can eat things that I only wished I could eat when I was in treatment. I haven't noticed any hair coming back, but my energy level is getting better; however, that is a slower process than I would like. And it's a little frustrating because I want to feel energetic and do more of the things I want to do ... like take all the Christmas decor down, or clean the spare bedroom out ... but I have discovered that the energy I do have still isn't what I'd consider "normal" ... I don't have the stamina that I'd like to have at this point. I'm still limited in how much I can do on any given day.

I've been told by the doctors and nurses, and I've read, that the fatigue -- the inertia and lethargy -- that comes as a result of the treatments for breast cancer can last for anywhere from 6 to 9 months after the treatments are over. I wanted to think that in my case that would not be true, but I'm having to come to terms with the fact that I am not superwoman.

That said, I am feeling hopeful and positive and appreciating every small stride I'm making in my recovery. It's a journey, and, as they say, every journey begins with one step. So here's to taking small steps to getting back to "normal" ... whatever that is!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Joanne. I was just thinking about you but don't have your e-mail. Glad to hear you're in a good place. Drop me a line...Gregory

Anonymous said...

Hey Joanne-glad to hear you are picking up the pace. We are pulling and praying for you, even in the wilds of Wichita Falls, Texas. Keep the faith, baby- and I will be back to help you rearrange your house someday! Mary and Ken 0f course, Cathys folks.