Thursday, May 15, 2008

An anniversary

Today is my anniversary.

One year ago today I heard the words no one really wants to hear:

"It's malignant."

It's taken me this whole year to process those two words. I'm still processing them and I expect I will continue to process them for the rest of my life.

Hester Hill Schnipper, the author of an article I read in the Journal of Clinical Oncology online, had this to say about survivorship:
More than anything else, it is the searing recognition of mortality that changes everything. From this moment forward, all of life will be viewed through a double lens as we appreciate the possibilities of both a long life and a greatly abbreviated one. This dual view may actually, over time, enrich our lives. We make a conscious and willing choice, each of us living with cancer, to go on, to take and to appreciate the darkness as well as the sunlight. We hold dear the night as well as the morning.

I could not have said it better.

No comments: