Thursday, December 6, 2007

The pain of loss, the joy of recovery

It's been a little over six months since I began my journey, dealing with breast cancer. The diagnosis in May, the surgery in June, the chemo starting in August. I lost my summer. I lost my breasts. I lost my hair. I lost the last several months. I lost my ability to focus. I lost being in control of everything in my life. I had to learn how to get through each day. The chemo side effects made it so I had to get up and discover how I was feeling and thus how I would negotiate that day. I had to live literally one day at a time. The chemo side effects are subsiding now, but yet I am waking up each day to evidence that I've had chemo ... I still have no hair, food still tastes bland or weird or bad, and I find that fatigue is still a constant, a natural part of each day.

That said, I find each day I awake to be a blessing and an opportunity to see just how much better I feel than the day before. I'm still discovering things I cannot do, but now I have gratitude for the things I can do and hope for those that I will be able to do soon. Recovery is a good thing!

No comments: