Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Energy crisis

Today I filled up my car with gas and spent $32.15. What? When I bought the Miata it only took $10 to fill the car up with gas.

As most of my close friends know, I am no mathematician. But, I don't need to be one to note that it takes over three times as much money to fill up my gas tank today than it did when I first bought the car.

The way I feel physically is a lot like that these days. It seems like some days it takes me three times longer to get things accomplished than it did before I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had six rounds of chemotherapy.

I must say this is actually much more unsettling for me than spending three times as much money to fill up my gas tank.

I am not one to whine about being sick, and frankly have a very hard time sitting still most of the time. But the side effects from the chemo are lingering and it makes me want to whine!


I want to feel like my old self. But I guess I am not my old self. I haven't figured out exactly who or what my new self is yet either, and it seems like that person is someone different from one day to the next. Some days I have more energy than others, some days I can think clearer than on other days. Today a colleague of mine who has experienced cancer and chemo said that it can take up to a year to regain the energy and strength that we once took for granted.

A year seems like a very long time, but at least I have the option of having a year.

I hope that the energy crisis -- both the one regarding my car and the one regarding my health -- will resolve itself sooner than later. Something tells me that my health will be resolved sooner than the other!

No comments: